Wednesday 8 January 2020

NDK Explorer last trip

Last sunday we made a long trip and I enjoyed it very much. We paddled fast with periods above 8 km/h and the Explorer proved to be a fast boat again, so far so good. However after a few hours I noticed I had trouble placing my feet, the room seems just a bit too small for a comfortable position. And the tight fit under the knee braces seems to create a bit of tension in my legs. May be the HV version would have been a better fit for me? That evening it made me think and slowly it became clear what was bothering me the last weeks:

It was the memory of the Skarabee: it's seating position, it's stability and it's manouverability: all much better than the Explorer. And the Skarabee is at least as fast. The Explorer is certainly a good boat but after the Orion and Skarabee it seems to be a step back in some way. Despite it's stunning looks, it's speed and good reputation I never felt 'connected' to the Explorer. I was clearly infected by the Skarabee...

Then things went quick: the next day I sold the Explorer already to a club member and the next day I bought the Skarabee and I picked it up a day later...

VKN Skarabee on top of my car
A long car for a long boat




No comments:

Post a Comment