Thursday 25 June 2020

First sailing experience

Last evening we went with our club for a trip on the lake Gooimeer. There were two kayak sailors, me and Leen with a Flat Earth sail. We decided to go with the main group so we could sail on our way back as the first part was against the wind. We didn't sail but I did try to hoist the sail but it fell sidewards. Strange.

At our rest on isle Huizerhoef I discovered it was the sheet that was still clamped preventing the mast to raise fully up. After this 'fix' and after the rest we took off and started sailing. Unfortunately the wind had decreased a bit but I could still make progress on sail alone. I had to make a few strokes now and then to match the speed of the other group members. So, this was an ideal first sailing trip, very quiet and safe.

I did try some different courses and was able to sail even by the wind. Very promising! It seems that the Falcon sail is indeed a better sailer than the Flat Earth sail, at least in these light winds.

Besides the problem with raising the mast there was another problem when lowering the mast. When the mast and sail comes down it is almost unreachable to grab them for tying down. I think I will make a longer line on the end of the boom. This line functions also as outrigger for the sail. And a wind vane on top of the sail would also be nice.


2 comments:

  1. If you cann't reach your folded sail from the cockpit you either have a very, very long kayak or your mast step is way up front, causing a very steep angle of your side stays. Which of the two is it? Groet, Berend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Berend, I have only two back stays, no seperate side stays. Those would indeed help to guide the falling mast to the cockpit. May be I will add side stays later. Groet Jeroen

    ReplyDelete