Sunday 27 June 2021

Inuit Inua

The longer and sleeker sister of the Inuit Amarok is the Inua. It is certainly has the looks of a good, traditional sea kayak:

Inuit Inua sea kayak

Today I had the opportunity to paddle the Inua. I made a trip from IJburg to Pampus Isle. I had planned to go to Marken but the wind was too strong and my seating position wasn't very comfortable: the front bulkhead is too close for my long legs. The first leg was straight against the wind and the Inua sometimes slammed hard on the steep and high waves. Otherwise it seems a dry boat to paddle and it behaves like a real sea kayak: Easy to keep on course in all directions.

Inuit Inua sea kayak

The Inua is certainly less stable than the Amarok, especially the initial stability took some time to get used to. The secundary stability was not convincing either, there seems no 'endpoint' where you can trust on. Nevertheless I was able to make the trip without real stability problems. The boat feels very fast and lively and took every wave with pleasure. To my surprise edging did work better than the Amarok. Of course I didn't feel very safe to edge a lot but the Inua is more maneuverable than you would expect. The directional stability was very good and the boat reacts very good on the retractable skeg. 
Inuit Inua sea kayak

After a break on Pampus Isle I returned to IJburg. To my surprise the Inua appeared to be a good surfer that could be easily pulled in a surf. And in a surf it is fast... very fast! The last part I took the waves from aside and here the lack of stability needed my attention. Probably you can get used to it and may be smaller persons will not have any problem at all.

Later, a club member tried the Inua. As he is much smaller than me, I had expected the stability would be better for him. But instead, he found the Inua unstable too. Conclusion is that the lack of stability is simply by design and cannot be 'fixed' easily. For me the stability would be sufficient for day trips or expeditions on sheltered water. I wouldn't use it on sea. May be I will keep the Inua but than I have to move the bulkhead forwards to fit my long legs. May be I will try to sell it. I am still thinking about it.

The build quality of the Inua is excellent. The skeg operates direct and smoothly. And no drop of water within the three compartments. Both the Inua and Amarok were built by the now closed Inuit yard in Arnemuiden.

Inuit sea kayaks


Inuit Inua sea kayak

No comments:

Post a Comment