Saturday 18 April 2020

A new seat for the Shadow, part 2

From the kayak shop where I bought the Shadow I could get a kayak for free to obtain a new seat. Well, not new, actually quite old, but I do fit better in it.
The seat removed from it's donor wreck

First I removed the bulge from the bulkhead with a disc cutter.

The bulkhead with the bulge removed

The bulkhead has gelcoat on it. It would be difficult to match colors with the new inset. And I don't like a coloured bulkhead, so I decided to remove all gelcoat from it. Quite a tedious job...

The bulkhead without gelcoat (almost)

There are still some pieces gelcoat to be removed but I need some other tool for that. The new seat is a lot smaller than the original one. On both sides there is more than one inch space to fit to the wide cockpit coaming. I am still thinking how to solve this in a functional but also beautiful way.


The seat smoothly transitions into the bulkhead






To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment