Wednesday 29 April 2020

First results with the Legend

Today I went for a trip with the Legend as the rain has gone. I have made quite some trips now with the Legend and the results are becoming more clear.

Nigel Foster Legend sea kayak
Rest at isle Drost


The Legend is a fast sea kayak. It feels easy driven. I can get it over the 8 km/h limit easily. The speed seems only limited by my own performance... and that is a pity sometimes ;-) May be the Explorer is even a bit faster but the difference, if any, is small.

The amount of weathercocking in a quartering sea has now become quite annoying. It is possible to correct this with edging and sweep strokes. I am still not that confident about the stability so there is probably some progress possible when I would use more edging. But with a retrectable skeg life will be easier. So I am thinking of adding a retrectable skeg. This could be a nice new project after the Shadow is ready.

Stability is sufficient for a sporty kayak but for use on sea I would like to have a bit more stability to be able to eat a sandwich in a troubled sea. As said, on this moment I don't feel comfortable enough to edge the Legend to a far degree. When I have more confidence and experience with it's stability curve the Legend would probably become even more enjoyable.

The aft dry compartment appeared to be not very dry at all. After each trip there was some water in it. The test with the fire hose shows that the water is leaking from under the rubber lid. The good thing is that there are no structural faults that cause leaks but it is the fit of the lid on the rim. Well, the bad thing is that I can't change much about this. May be the Kajaksport lids from the Shadow do a better job, I can test that.

Another annoying thing is the sprayskirt. It is difficult to get the backside under the cockpit rim. It take a few minutes (yes, minutes) to put it in right. Not very practical for quick entries or exits. This is mainly caused by the lack of space under the cockpit rim in combination with it's recess into the aft deck. You can't just pull the skirt around the rim. The strong elastics of the sprayskirt doesn't help also.


No comments:

Post a Comment