Saturday 2 May 2020

More about the ideas of Nigel Foster

I have got some good feedback after my last post about the Legend. One of the tips was to read the book of Nigel Foster and so I have now one copy at home. It is quite interesting, quite different than the book of Derek Hutchinson for example. Nigel Foster is a very technical paddler and that shows from the first page. I only read the first part but it is good to read his explaination of a forward stroke with a sidewards sculling movement to prevent flutter and to make it more efficient. It is exactly the way how I move the greenland paddle through the water.

Nigel Foster
Interesting lecture

The kayak designs of Nigel Foster reflect his technical skills and they are designed to be easy managed, but only with good technique. Also the weathercocking should be manageable without a retractable skeg. On my Legend there is fixed skeg glued on. This prevents a certain amount of weathercocking but it also hinders the correction strokes. As I couldn't continue with the Shadow as the new seat was still drying, I had some time today to remove this skeg from the Legend. It should be removed anyway before I would add a rectractable skeg. Unfortunately it was very well glued on with polyester or epoxy so it took me some time.


Nigel Foster Legend sea kayak
Removal of the glued on skeg








No comments:

Post a Comment