Sunday 24 May 2020

Fitting a retractable skeg to the Legend, part 1

In between the nice trips with the Shadow I also did some work on the Legend to add the retractable skeg. I had ordered a Kari-Tek cable skeg with a modern fin style skeg blade. In my opinion a good match for the sporty Legend.

adapted brush
Despite the preparation of tools and dry practice the job got out of hand very soon: The first fixation with thickened polyester resin went reasonably well but when I started to add glass tape to the sides of the skeg box it soon became a mess. After some thinking I came to the conclusion that the only way for a reliable fixing was to open up the rear deck to get ample access to the skegbox area. You see it sometimes on old kayaks with an after market built-in skeg. I decided to make the cut under the grip lines as this may be the least notable place.

opening the rear deck

the first fixation of the skeg box

After removing the surplus of polyester I could pour in topcoat to fill the remaining gaps. And I added glass tape between the side walls of the box and the hull. All of this was now much easier working through the large opening.

after the second fixation

The topcoat has nicely filled the space between box and hull and I could trim the edges of the skeg box on the outside.

after smoothing out

1 comment:

  1. That is a impressive project.
    Most people would be very afraid to do this.
    And most people would be not capable to do it.
    congratulations on rigging a skeg on your boat.
    It will be a very good tool for your Falcon Sail.

    ReplyDelete