Monday 4 May 2020

Paddling the skegless Legend, part 1

Tomorrow seems a good day to go out with the Legend because there is some wind predicted. I am quite curious about the effect of the removal of the fixed skeg.

Nigel Foster Legend sea kayak
Despite the discolouration the surface is smooth now

Also I found an interesting video with Nigel Foster himself explaining weathercocking and corrective strokes to keep a kayak on course. He even uses a Legend :)


The correction has to be made at the stern. This makes sense to me as it is the same stern that is pushed away by the wind. The corrective stroke Nigel suggests is extending the forward stroke into a stern rudder. There you can push or pull the stern in the desired direction. The video shows some edging too. As always with Nigel Foster everything looks quiet and controlled, very attractive indeed. I am curious to try this tomorrow with my skegless Legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment