Friday 8 May 2020

A new seat for the Shadow, part 5

I am glad to say the Shadow is ready for paddling again! It took some time to make the new seat. Of course it took more time than expected. As mentioned before I used plywood and epoxy to add the sidewalls and flanges to the new old seat.

The plywood extensions glued to the seat

Then the outside and inside were covered with carbon sheet using epoxy. I used the normal carbon woven cloth that is quite stiff and not so flexible to follow all curves. Well, I managed it with acceptable result but actually the curves of the seat were quite a challenge, especially the inside.

The carbon sheeting on the bottom side

After the sheeting was complete I added the slot for the backrest. I have been thinking on different ways to fasten the backrest but this is the most simple and most elegant way.

I also have been thinking a lot about how to fix the seat in the kayak. Finally I decided to glue it on the bottom like the original seat. This guarantees it is as low as possible and this was one of the reasons to replace the seat. Besides, there were reinforcement strips laminated on the bottom to support the original seat, so I am not afraid of excessive load on the hull. The top flanges are now fixed by two bolts that reuse the existing holes beside the cockpit rim. These holes were once made to fix the old backrest to.

Result after rough sanding

Also for the fastening of the backstrap aft straps I have choosen the most simple way: two loops of cord fixed with polyester under the cockpit rim. I didn't want heavy bolts through the bulkhead.

Simple cord loop for the backstrap

Besides the main work to the seat and bulkhead, I also fitted new deck lines including a greenland paddle brace. And as I didn't quite trust the front bulkhead I mounted a plate to it to support the pressure of my feet. Of course there are still some jobs to do. For example the seat may be sanded somewhat smoother and may be covered with DD lacquer. But I like the matt finish for now and I plan to take the Shadow to the water tomorrow. I am curious how the Shadow behaves with the lower and smaller seat. And would it still needs more weight?

No comments:

Post a Comment