Friday 17 April 2020

A new seat for the Shadow, part 1

I have decided to give the Shadow a fair chance. The primary stability issue has probably something to do with a lack of load. When the chines are deeper in the water the stability will probably improve. Besides this, a seat that is too wide does not help also. And as the seat is quite uncomfortable for me, I actually want to make a complete new seat in it... Quite ambitious indeed and I have to say I am inspired by the new owner of my old Orion who is also making a new seat. See his blog on: https://www.zeekajaksite.nl/blog/r_weblog.php. The new seat should be placed as low as possible in the hull as every single centimeter will help for initial stability.

Old seat

So I started to remove the seat. It was quite well fixed with polyester resin but with some force the seat finally got loose. I also removed the backrest and all it's fixing bolts. The seat may be original but the backrest certainly is not.

Seat and backrest removed

After removal of the seat the hull appeared to be undamaged happily. The next step will be to remove the bulge in the bulkhead. This bulge, padded with foam, forms the original backrest. Also a Nigel Foster idea, simple but not very comfortable. My plans are for an ordinary backstrap.

An empty cockpit
To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment