Tuesday 24 December 2019

Purchase of a sea kayak

The choice of which kayak to buy was easy. Earlier I owned a P&H Baidarka Explorer. It is not an easy kayak but after a short but steep learning curve I really have enjoyed this boat. So I searched the internet to find a used Baidarka for sale. There was a Dawn Treader Odin for sale very close to me. The P&H Dawn Treader Odin (quite a long name) is almost identically to the Baidarka Explorer. They share the same hull, however P&H removed the "tips" on the bow and tail, probably to make it look more modern. Actually I like the original design of the Baidarka more. There was another difference: the cockpit size is larger. On that moment I thought that was great and better than the ocean size cockpit of the Baidarka. The boat was in good original state, never repaired and cheap. So I bought it. Together with a used Lendal Nordkapp paddle that I also found on the internet I was ready to start for a new sea kayaking adventure...

P&H Dawn Treader Odin

Below an old photo of my previous owned Baidarka, note the non-standard day hatch, compass and foot pump which I had added myself.

P&H Baidaraka Explorer

And here a photo of the new Dawn Treader, original, with only a hand pump on the rear deck.

P&H Dawn Treader Odin bow

1 comment: