Tuesday 24 December 2019

With the Dawn Treader to Vlieland

It was holiday time and I headed (by car) to Vlieland, an island in the north of the Netherlands. The trip was organized by zeekajak.nl. The group was mixed with less and more experienced paddlers. Even international with two German participants. Because of the hard wind we had to take the ferry.

Kayaks on the ferry to Vlieland
Kayaks on the ferry to Vlieland
I was not very good prepared for this week. After the purchase of the Dawn Treader Odin I only made a few short trips on protected waters. My equipment was also not complete: no compass, no spare paddle, no day hatch, no cooking gear... Before investing in these things I wanted to be sure that I really liked sea kayaking again. The compass was the only attribute I really missed. Happily, the instructor has taken one with him that I could lend.

in the Dawn Treader on the coast of Vlieland
Me in the Dawn Treader Odin on the coast of Vlieland
We paddled the week under various circumstances, not too difficult. It felt nice to be at sea again. The paddling went well and sometimes I forgot that I didn't paddle for 14 years. Paddling is like biking: you will never forget. The only thing I was forgotten is rolling: it didn't work anymore. That's a pity and to be fixed during the swimming pool sessions in the winter. However, every day there were moments I felt unsure in the boat: feeling tippy at moments that we have to wait or doing excercises in the waves. I watched with admiration how other less experienced paddlers were grabbing in there day hatches or loosen there sprayskirts while I was keeping my blade in the water to stabilize myself. Could be a question of time to get used to it but there are more stable boats than the Dawn Treader Odin. For example there was a nice wooden XL Frej, a design of bjorn thomasson. It was long with lots of rocker, very stable and very manouverable. May be my next boat?

visit to Terschelling
Frej is the grey kayak
The week ends and with a selection of the group we paddled back to the main land. There was almost no wind and it was warm. The Dawn Treader Odin was slow, normally I paddle at the front of the group, now at the back. May be it was the heavy wet tent in the aft compartment spoiling the trim. May be it was my lack of condition. I was glad and tired when we arrived at Harlingen harbour. But it was a terrific week and I enjoyed it very much. The sea kayaking spirit has revived in me!

return from Vlieland
Return from Vlieland to Harlingen, photo taken from the ferry





No comments:

Post a Comment