Wednesday 25 December 2019

VKN Skarabee

It is tempting to look on the internet for nice used sea kayaks. Even when you are not really in need for one. So, I came across a special one: a VKN Skarabee. A design of Bram Nootenboom and originally build by VKN "Kanocentrum De Biesbosch" in the Netherlands. Later the moulds were sold to a Czech company ms-composite.cz that still builds this model under the name MSC Skarabee. Good to know that you still can buy a new one. Here is a photo, I hope they don't mind that I show it here.
MSC Skarabee
MSC Skarabee, made by MS-composite
I like the Swede form. With it's dimensions of 565 by 59 cm this could be considered as a large boat. The raised front and rear decks add even more volume to this. Despite the high deck the boat is well proportioned and you wouldn't think it is so big on the picture. Only when you see it between other kayaks you notice the impressive dimensions.

As I said, I was not actually searching for a new kayak. But as I am quite tall (197 cm) it could be a good match though. And it has already a day hatch and a built in compass... So I went for a look and a test trip. The boat was well build and maintained. It has the larger cockpit but unfortunately it was not long enough to put my legs in while seated. The sit however was perfect, the large knee braces form smoothly around my legs. There was a 5 Bft wind blowing, good circumstances to test it's behaviour and controllability. There is said that you know immediately when a boat is the right one for you. Well, I had this feeling with the Skarabee. The fit was perfect and the stability was very encouraging. Even better than the Orion. You can edge it a lot without being scared. On edge the boat was surprisingly manouverable. During the trip I never felt unsafe despite the hard wind and being in a boat that you don't know. No problem in controllability on any course to the wind. May be it drifted more due windage but that is hard to compare as any other boat will drift away with this wind. There was a lot of wind but no serious waves. But on the small waves it was very eager to surf and it seems quite fast and didn't want to break out. So, you could say I was very enthousiastic about the Skarabee. Because of the size I had expected more problems with controllability in this wind.

MSC Skarabee high decks
Clear to see how high the decks raise above the cockpit
There were a few concerns however: first the price, this was certainly not a low-budget boat anymore like the Dawn Treader Odin and Orion, about five times the price... If I would buy it, it should be the one and only boat for the next years. And reselling it later would be difficult because this is not a popular boat and certainly not for this price. Another concern is that I want a good sea kayak to actually go to sea in all kind of circumstances and making day trips, also without luggage. Can the Skarabee do this? It certainly is a perfect expedition boat for transporting lots of luggage. But would it not be too bulky for the real work on sea? These concerns made me hesitate and I decided to let it go... But I will not forget the Skarabee and may be once, who knows, I will have one.








No comments:

Post a Comment