Thursday 26 December 2019

NDK Explorer arrival

The Skarabee has changed my opinion on how much money is reasonable for a used kayak. Until now I've only spend a few hundred Euro for an old British sea kayak. It is a sport to get such high quality boats for so little money. But you have to consider these boats are quite old now, in need for some repairs, have small hatch lids and they lack a day hatch. Besides, the design of sea kayaks has developed further.

So, when I encountered a used Nigel Dennis Explorer on the internet I started thinking... It is a well known and praised design with good performance and well balanced characteristics. It certainly is a good allround sea kayak and should be better than the Orion. You can still buy it new for a huge amount of money and this one was for sale for about half of it. Still not cheap but it seems in a very good state, almost new. So.... I went for a look.... and took her home.

NDK Explorer on top of my car
My new acquisition ready for going home
This boat has made only a few trips, the owner got a back injury, and since then it had been resting in a garage. The fit was good, with thight knee support. And to my surprise I was able to use the keyhole cockpit properly: sit first and legs later. I was very happy with it: finally a modern sea kayak and not a low-budget boat. Happily, I could sell the Orion quick (but cheap) the same weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment